counter on blogger
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Gluten-Free Cookbooks and an Antique!
Yesterday, my friend Elizabeth Barbone from GlutenFreeBaking.com asked on Facebook what cookbooks have improved your life or which are the cookbooks that you would always recommend to friends. I thought this was a great question and I would love to hear your favorites!

As you know, I was diagnosed with Celiac in 1981. At this time, there were almost no resources for a newly diagnosed celiac. My parents had to rely on doctor input and any information they could find. They were desperate for information so finding a gluten-free cookbook in 1981 must have been a big relief. The very first gluten-free cookbook my mom had was "Good Food, Gluten Free" by Hilda Cherry Hills.

First published in 1976, "Good Food, Gluten Free" was WAY ahead of its time. The author's husband had Celiac Disease and a sadly all-too-common road to his diagnosis in the late 1960s. She clearly did a lot of research and I have to say I am very impressed with the information that was presented in this book that is close to 40 years old! There is a brief introduction to Celiac, other conditions associated to celiac, other diseases that may benefit from eating gluten-free, and how to feed a celiac infant and child. I think this chapter was probably the most useful to my parents 33 years ago! There are also chapters about how to socialize while maintaining a gluten-free diet, how to travel, suggested menus, and so much more. This book has been fun to look at recently and realize what a godsend this must have been to my parents.

What are your favorite cookbooks? Did any book change your life after going gluten-free? I would love to read your suggestions in the comments section below.




Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer