counter on blogger
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Update on Udi's Gluten-Free


WOW. It has been a crazy night. It always seems that a gluten-free "scandal" erupts when I am out here in Portland. It must be the gluten-free-ness of this city that brings these stories right to me.

Tonight when I logged into Twitter, I saw a ton of reposts about an article on The Daily Meal called "Udi’s Bakery Bids Farewell to Gluten-Free with Name Change." The article was confusing and even after re-reading the press releases involved, there was still confusion. Top bloggers and very smart colleagues of mine were also confused as we continued to post and repost this one article. A lot of people that I know and trust were putting this out there in their social media channels, but it looks like not only were we confused but we were wrong.

Well, when I am wrong, I admit I am wrong BUT I also back up my wrongdoing with an explanation and some major research. I read the Daily Meal article again, I went to the Udi's renaming contest page, and read the press releases. In all of my sources of information, there was mention of Udi's Gluten-Free and even the gluten-free logo on the Udi's renaming contest page. I was confused so I went directly to the main source: Suzanne, the social media manager for Udi's Gluten-Free.

The social media manager agreed that the article was very misleading and that she was happy I reached out. Udi's Gluten-Free is actively doing damage control on their Facebook page to also clear up any confusion.

Here is what Udi's Gluten-Free has to say:

Unfortunately the article very misleading. It is about a different company, the Udi's Restaurants in Denver (www.udisfood.com),  and has been worded in a very confusing way. We are not changing our name and will not stop selling gluten free goodies!

In 2012, a local bakery in denver sold the gluten free portion of their business (the Udi’s retail breads and other baked goods) to what is now Boulder Brands. When they sold the gluten free portion they also sold the Udi’s name with it. They’ve had 2 years to change the name of the local restaurants here in Denver. They’re finally getting around to it and hosting a big contest to have Denver help them rename their local bakeries.

Nothing will change with the Udi’s baked goods that you know and love. The restaurants are just finally changing their name to avoid confusion (since their restaurants are also not 100% glutenfree)

I apologize for any confusion my previous post may have caused and I have learned my lesson to reach out to the source first. I can admit I am wrong publicly like this but I am also glad I am not alone in my total confusion. (See the Udi's Gluten-Free Facebook page for all of the other fans that are equally confused!) Please continue to support Udi's Gluten-Free and spread the word that Udi's Gluten-Free is not going anywhere!

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger ConfusedCareBear said...

Thank goodness! I love udis products and I was really upset when I thought they were going away.

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer